Bad Checks & Forms of Fraud

As with other allegations of crime, please directly give to your local police agency all relevant information related to any claim that you were presented with a bad (insufficient funds) check or have been the victim of a financial property crime, such as forgery, identity theft, theft, burglary, or embezzlement.

Police agencies vary in their policies about the types of fraud cases that merit investigation, and not every allegation of fraud would constitute a criminal offense under Wisconsin law, even if it may provide grounds for a civil law claim, such as a small claims court action.

As a general rule, the Dane County District Attorney's Office will not pursue any case that is not first fully investigated by police.