Family Law

The district attorney’s office cannot provide legal advice or take legal action in a divorce.

Legal Advice

Call a private attorney, Legal Action of Wisconsin at (608) 256-3304, the State Bar of Wisconsin at (608) 257-4666, or attend a legal clinic at the Dane County Courthouse. Click here for more information on the clinics: Citizens have a constitutional right to represent themselves in court if they make an informed, voluntary decision to do so.

Divorce Forms

The Dane County Family Court Commissioner’s office handles child support, custody, paternity and other matters during divorce proceedings, and also after a divorce has been granted. However, a judge must formally grant a divorce. Their phone number is (608) 266-9048, and they are located in the Dane County Courthouse, 215 S. Hamilton Street, Room 2000, Madison. Family Court forms are available here:

Child Support

The Dane County Child Support Agency handles child support matters. Their number is (608) 266-4031, and they are located in the City County Building, 210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Room 106, Madison. Child Support forms are available here: